6/30/2009

THE ZRO HOUR: Interview with TASH (Tha Alkaholiks) On His New Solo Album "CONTROL FREEK"



Catastrophe aka TASH from the Likwit crew returns after a decade with a new solo album, "Control Freek" on Amalgam Digital. Tash dropped his first solo LP, "Rap Life" 10 years ago and returns to bring his brand of lyricism to the party. "Control Freek" dropped today and I spoke with Tash about this new project. Tash sounds excited about the new venture with Amalgam Digital and speaks on bringing the fun back to hip hop-

Edaye-
We are about to begin the next phase in the "Rap Life" of Tash aka Catastrophe, founding member of The Alkaholiks. What's good?

Tash-
Everything is great, just chillin' homie

Edaye-
We are approaching the release of your second solo album, "Control Freek" on Amalgam Digital. Your first solo album, "Rap Life" was very tight and laced with some ill lyrics. I felt the album was under-appreciated and slept on and possibly did not receive the push that it needed at the time.

Tash-
Homie I am chillin'! The fans like,"why you ain't getting this and that Tash, they not giving you props..", but everywhere I go I have a ball with life and everything. I wouldn't change one thing about Tash homeboy . We having fun with it, you know what I'm saying?



Edaye-
Nah man, I definitely understand that. I mean its slept on in the sense that the true heads sometimes get misdirected by what's on the radio too much. They don't seek out things the way they should. A lot of times we get our hip hop through a filter in the past and even more now. The real heads, they gotta seek it out. Even now, with your new relationship with Amalgam Digital, that's a big deal. I really respect the label. I respect what they're doing. I saw the roster of who they're bringing through and when I saw that they were working with you, I said "OK, this is what I'm talking about". They are about the real genuine artists. Everything ain't all that pop flavor. We need a return to some lyricism.

Tash-
That's why I'm over there. I'm a player on the team and everything. I don't know if I'm the running back or wide receiver but I'm on the team. So I'm a go hard.

Edaye-
I love that. What kind of guests you have on the album?

Tash-
Basically what I did with this album, I tried to keep it straight up and down friends and family. I did songs with everybody out there and I wanted to do songs with people that I never did songs with before. It's really not too much, I wanted to take it to the next. I got songs with B-Real from Cypress Hill. I recorded a lot of songs with B-Real. People loving the "How High Can You Get" song. I got Khujo from the G.O.O.D.I.E. M.O.B., that's my homeboy. When we went to Atlanta, and we was in the studio, I was sleeping on the couch and everything. Why would I put on somebody that ain't my homeboy? I got Del The Funky Homosapien from the Heiroglyphics click, Knocturnal, my homies J-Ro from Tha Alkaholiks and King Tee. I even got Obama on it!

READ MORE..
Edaye-
You got Obama? Wait a minute...(laughter)?

Tash-
Obama trying to get some weed and everything...

Edaye-
Its like a part two to that Bill Clinton, huh? That's my joint right there. (laughing) I love that Bill Clinton joint. I was like dude got Bill Clinton on the album for real! (laughing)..

Tash-
Yessir! (laughing)

Edaye-
E-Swift executive producing?

Tash-
Yeah, me Jenifer Burbank and E-Swift are executive producing. E-Swift, that's my cousin and everything..Everybody on my album is a homie of mine. They stay in the guest room, kids running around, shoot hoops together...

Edaye-
That's how it used to be anyway when people were doing albums. But nowadays dudes are not in the same room no more, they in different studios, you getting features just to get some extra play. Or you getting the hottest dude on just to get some sales. I can always tell when dudes are phoning in their lyrics, or you pass a session file to somebody else. But when you are in the same environment together, everybody steps their level up. The vibe is right, know what I'm sayin'?

Tash-
That's how it is right there! My homie J-Ro moved to Sweden and we was doing that shit. Emailing beats and he would send some raps back. We weren't on the same vibe. I'm not downing myself but it ain't my greatest work (note: Tash's first solo LP, "Rap Life") because I didn't know what page everybody was on. This one right here we was just having fun. I freestyle half the album. Sometimes I'm in a rush and I want them to just play the beat and let me come up with something. Every time I bust a punch line, I start laughing in the booth. I don't know what I just said! (laughing). Ol Dirty taught me that style.

Edaye-
That's the number one thing that is missing sometimes is that spontaneity. You're having that natural vibe..that natural feeling. That's what you are known for. The punch lines, the party tracks.

Tash-
I don't do nothing unless I want to do it. If I was at Burger King, working at McDonald's or something like that, I would still be rapping. Its my passion of mine I love it. Its not really a job to me. The best jobs in the world are the ones that you would do anyway if you didn't have to do it. I been rapping since I was a kid. Before the Amalgam deal I would make songs at different studios just to see if I still got it. I wanted to bring a different vibe to this project on Amalgam Digital. Its all fun. You don't hear no shoot em up-bang bang. Or how much dope I sold.

Edaye-
Exactly. We hear enough of that. And no beef. I don't even mess around with the beef thing on my site. I always tell the artists, I don't want to hear about no beef, rumors. I want to talk about the music. later for all that exterior stuff.

Tash-
Right.

Edaye-
Gotta check out that "Control Freek" on Amalgam Digital.

Tash-
The single, "New Bikini", I dropped that single first because its a summertime song. Summertime we throwing everybody into the pool. I want everybody to cop that from Amalgam Digital. Its only 89 cents for the single. I hope the recession ain't that bad that you don't have 89 cents.

Edaye-
Man, they charging a buck and a quarter for a dutch in N.Y. so you can spend 89 cents and cop that "New Bikini" joint!

Tash-
(Laughing) A buck and a quarter for one blunt? Man they tripping' out there (laughing)
Support Tash and support this show I'm on right now and let's get it in!!

Edaye-
Word cop that "Control Freek" on Amalgam Digital out today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails